Happy for me, sad for my kids.....getting out of my marriage, getting on with my life.

Monday, October 20, 2008

I was wrong

I cried when I left. Hard. Then continued to cry a little (discreetly, I hope) on two flights. He sniffled. I was greeted by three girls who were very happy to see me. Four girls if you count the dog. :)

I read a couple magazines today. One was an Oprah magazine that my mom had given me. I am not a big Oprah fan and I normally either don't read the magazine or just flip through it. Today, since I had oodles of time on my hands, I read it cover to cover. On the back page she has a monthly column called "what I know for sure". This month she had her all-time top 20 things she knows for sure. A few jumped out at me:
  • When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.
  • If you make a choice that goes against what everyone else thinks, the world will not fall apart.
  • Trust your instincts. Intuition doesn't lie.
  • Love doesn't hurt. It feels really good.
  • Doubt means don't. Don't move. Don't answer. Don't rush forward.

Also read a quote in a Glamour that seemed like it was directed at me: Worry about the fear later. Just do what you need to do now.

A big problem I have now is trusting my instincts. So many times over the past few months, I have been pretty sure nothing's amiss and I have been wrong....when I've done a little investigating I have found out that a lot is amiss. I just feel like my instincts have failed me. Though I guess not....or I wouldn't have started digging if I REALLY felt like everything was fine.

Getting ready to go to bed....it's weird knowing I will be here with just the girls for an entire month.

2 comments:

Isle Dance said...

You're doing great.

I liked your last post and I like this one. Because this is what happens. Which is why it's so hard and wrong and unfair. No matter what, trust your gut and listen to all that good advice.

And just stay in the moment. Like, what-is-directly-in-front-of-your-eyes-right-now? moment. Describe it. Then describe the next thing in front of your eyes. And so on and so on. Until you're in the moment. :o)

You're doing great.

shrink on the couch said...

Your instincts haven't failed you. Your husband has. Remember that. YOu are not crazy, or weak, or neurotic, or ______ fill in the blank with your latest self criticism. He is deceptive and untrustworthy and this can cause you to feel a lot of doubt in yourself.

I love Oprah magazine. Its about the only magazine I like to read from front to back. I love the celebrity book page.

As for this quote:

When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.

I have a lot of conflicting thoughts, interpretations. What do you get from it?