Happy for me, sad for my kids.....getting out of my marriage, getting on with my life.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm feeling a lot better

I think the weekend was just kind of hard....much different than the normal routine. That just takes some getting used to. I've been a lot better the last couple days.

My attorney (he's not really *my* attorney....I haven't retained him, just had a consultation) had originally told me NOT to get a job. He said that my income has been zero all these years and I should keep it that way. But I just don't know. If the marriage ends, I'd like to be able to buy a house. Can't do that with no income. I don't want to rent because 1) it's throwing money away essentially and 2) (and this might sound stupid to some people) I'd hate to not be able to keep my pets...that would be absolutely devestating to both me and the kids. I'm going to call the attorney and run this past him, but I think I'm going to work on my resume then try to find something part-time...hopefully after the holidays. I would likely need something full-time later but I think working part-time now would make the transition easier when that time comes. Plus it's always easier to get a job when you have a job. Any resume tips on making the most of my time away from the workforce would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Isle Dance said...

The attorney might be suggesting this - just until one is legally divorced - for important legal reasons. It has implications in court. For instance, you ((are)) working a full-time job already. And in order to have that legitimized and compensated, it's likely essential to maintain all as is. If you then do go through with a divorce, you can ((always)) get a job once you're single and free. Just a thought. A good lawyer will steer you in the right direction. Sometimes we just have to endure the short term inconvenience.

shrink on the couch said...

You couldn't stay in your house?

Trying real hard to move on said...

Isle dance - I'm sure you're right. I haven't made a decision for sure anyway, but I would check with the attorney first before I did anything. I will definitely get my resume in order though....doesn't hurt to be prepared.

phd - I probably could stay here for a while at least. Don't really want the house long-term though....for one the yard is way too big and I have no desire to take care of it. And I would probably just want to start over somewhere new...somewhere he hasn't been.