Happy for me, sad for my kids.....getting out of my marriage, getting on with my life.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Switching things up a little bit...and what's up with me

I decided I miss blogging. Even though much of the turmoil is gone from my life (there's still plenty left, believe me!), I still have a lot to say. I've changed so much so decided it was time to change some things on my blog too.

I have taken steps to get out of my marriage....really get out, not just say I'm going to do it. I went to see my attorney in early February. I filled out all the forms necessary to file for divorce and paid him almost $3000. I'm doing it. He has everything ready to file.....he's just waiting for me to tell him when.

A couple weeks ago, I was ready. I called H at work and told him that I want out. I told him that I'm sick of sleeping on the edge of the bed because I want to be far away from him. I want peace. I am done. He is not. He thinks we can "fix" things. I told him that I don't want to touch him, I will never want to touch him and will NEVER trust him. I don't hate him (though I should, and I wonder why I don't?) but I don't love him. H started sleeping on the couch.

The following week we got some very sad news. Our much loved, very spoiled, very sweet dog - G - has cancer. She won't live long. There's nothing we can do. We will just try to keep her as comfortable and happy as possible then let her go when the time comes. I was heartbroken to hear the news. I knew G was very sick....she hadn't been well for close to a month....but I had hoped it was something fixable. She's been a wonderful, loving, and faithful member of our family. She will be missed terribly.

So now....after all these months and months of excuses that kept me from taking the plunge....I have a very real roadblock. My kids know that G is dying and are very sad about it. If I knew she'd live another 4 or 5 months, I'd tell them about the divorce now. But I really don't think G will last that long. So I plan to wait a little while after she passes before I get out. I don't want to pile the heartbreak on all at once. :(

I have been seeing my therapist again and plan to discuss this with him at our next appointment.

For now, I am taking care of G like a sick kid. I cook for her,.I sleep with her on an Aerobed in the family room every night so I can let her out several times during the night (she drinks a lot of water and has to go out A LOT).

It's so weird to me how I feel done. How I don't wonder what he's doing anymore....how quite honestly I just don't care. I feel almost thrilled at times at the thought of starting a new normal, one without him. But I do feel bad for my kids. It's so hard to face hurting them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for over a year now. I am so happy for you and sad for you too (news about your dog).
Be there for others but be true to yourself. You deserve to be happy and live a full life, for you and your children. Trust me, your children want you happy and if moving on does that-then that is what you must do.
My thoughts and prayers to you and your family-you will make it through because you are stronger than you ever realized.
Smile and know other are rooting for you :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm very happy for you. Did you get a full time job? I know in one of your previous posts you were concerned b/c you hadn't been in the work force for many years. Keep us posted & Good Luck. Sorry to hear about your dog :(

shrink on the couch said...

Two steps forward, one step in pause mode. Very sorry about your pooch. I know she is a very special dog. I'm glad she has you to care for her. How are the kids taking the news of her illness?

This whole thing is sad but it's very refreshing and uplifting to read your last paragraph, "almost thrilled at times at the thought of starting a new normal" The kids heartache will be very hard. But you are such a competent individual, life is going to feel so much better.