Happy for me, sad for my kids.....getting out of my marriage, getting on with my life.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas

Mine was actually pretty fabulous....delightful, relaxing, loving, wonderful, lazy. Started out by waking up early (I always have gotten up before the kids....I just need a few minutes at least of peace and quiet before I start my day....ANY day). DH and I were lying in bed talking before we got up.....out of the blue he says "I'm so sorry". I asked why. He said "For hurting you, for what I did, for what I've put you through". I asked why he was apologizing now and he said he was just thinking of how badly he'd hurt me. So he does have his moments where he seems to have some clue. Then he has the random moments where he's a Neanderthal bonehead and I want to kick him right in the ass. :) But at moments like that, on Christmas morning, I'm really glad that I decided to give myself time.

My kids can be the sweetest little things in the entire world. I received a box of handmade goodies from my younger two. All sorts of things....a bracelet made of beads threaded onto a pipe cleaner (FYI - the ends of a pipe cleaner can really hurt). Two scarves made by finger weaving (something they learned in Brownies years ago). A card. A snowflake. A "cat's eye" - which is a popsicle stick cross with yard woven on it. A candy cane and a star made from clay, painted, and sprinkled with glitter. A snow globe made from a baby food jar (with the label barely removed!). They are sweethearts. My oldest doesn't have a ton of money but tries to come up with creative gift ideas. For the younger two, she bought them all kinds of fun candy that they've never had before....Pez, Pop Rocks, Bottle Caps, Gobstoppers, a couple more I can't think of at the moment. They loved everything, and she probably only spent $5 each.

5 comments:

Isle Dance said...

SO special.

blognut said...

That's really sweet.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog.

I am glad he said it, even if he doesn't always act it. They are a weird species, men, huh?

Trying real hard to move on said...

I think deep down he knows what he's done and how horrible and hurtful it was. I think now that I've quit making crappy comments all the time, that "the dust has settled", so to speak, that he knows how close he came to losing me forever and not being in the kids' lives on a daily basis (and knows that those things might still happen).

shrink on the couch said...

Yes, it IS good he realizes, it's good he tells you. I'm so happy you had that early Christmas gift. You're really incredible, the way you are sticking with this, being patient, ungodly patient. I love your oldest dau's idea -- all the candy. I've never met a kid for whom candy didn't light up their happy meter. And your little ones.. all those homemade treats (proud owner of a finger scarf, here, too, from years past and those Gods eye things)