Happy for me, sad for my kids.....getting out of my marriage, getting on with my life.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Glimpses of my old self

I wouldn't say I'm back to normal by any means. I am still untrusting, still quite sad at times, still unforgiving...I am just changed. But the dynamics of the relationship have changed over the last few months. I am no longer clingy, no longer desperate, no longer depressed and barely functioning, no longer constantly looking over my shoulder. Somewhere in there I just realized that no matter what....I will survive. I can do hard things.

For months and months, I was quite unproductive. Very unlike me. My old self was busy busy busy....constantly working on some project, constantly volunteering, getting together with friends, keeping a clean house, shopping, taking the kids places, tons of cooking. A lot of that came to a screeching halt in February. I did the bare minimum to not live in squalor....I fulfilled my kid obligations but not with the same gusto that I normally would....we had lots of "fend for yourself" dinner nights...I became a recluse and avoided people at all costs.

Lately....I'm seeing more of the old me. I am excited about things. I didn't think I'd want to "do" the holidays at all but I am enjoying them. I am throwing a 16th birthday party for one of my kids and really looking forward to it and loving her excitement. I am redecorating the other two kids' room and can't wait to see their reaction when it's completed. I'm going places alone and not avoiding people anymore.

I kind of feel like if the bottom dropped out on this tomorrow....if I threw him out or he chose to walk out....I would be okay. I'd be sad, and I still have my sad moments now, but I think I've just figured out that I'M not the one who'd be losing out.

I've seen big changes in DH. I guess I should say that I see what SEEM to be big changes. I always have to qualify everything now, you know.

4 comments:

e.beck.artist said...

glad that you are feeling more yourself .... a changed self, but back to you ..... the 16th bday is a big deal, huh?
are your children still unaware of the new dynamic?

Isle Dance said...

That sounds great - enjoy the parties!

Trying real hard to move on said...

Kids still unaware as far as I know. Couple counselors said not to say anything until something is actually going to happen....and right now nothing is. I think now they'd be more likely to be unaware....before I'm sure they knew something was up and had to wonder.

16th birthday is a big deal. I wasn't really going to do anything...I don't have parties for them every year...but she really wanted to do something.

shrink on the couch said...

The only thing important here is you know you will be OK, that you are healthier and stronger.