Happy for me, sad for my kids.....getting out of my marriage, getting on with my life.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Counseling woes

I don't know why I post this stuff....I only have 2 readers. I could just email the 2 of you. But this is more fun.

On Wednesday, we had our first counseling session that didn't seem like it was productive. She has us do this communication thing where one of us is the intiator and the other is the inquisitor. It is actually very effective and while we may not use that exact method, we are doing better with communicating. So Wednesday was DH's turn to initiate, and he said he didn't really have anything to discuss. She pressured him to come up with something and he did eventually pull some stuff out of his ass. I won't go into the whole thing (it's not that interesting), but at one point he said he does certain things to be mean to me on purpose. Out of everything he said that day, that was the one thing that stood out. I went home and cried a little....it just made me so sad. That night we talked and I asked him why in the world, after all we've been through, would he TRY to be mean to me? The question seemed to catch him off guard, and the next afternoon he sent an email apologizing. Said he had no idea that bothered me, that that wasn't really what he meant, he misspoke (he sounds like Hilary!). What he had been talking about was that he feels I am testing him a lot, so sometimes he tests ME to see what I would do in a situation....and that that could be construed as being mean because I am not the one who has done anything to deserve being tested. I am not entirely sure that I get his point but I do appreciate that he spent the whole next day thinking about how much he'd hurt my feelings and was compelled to apologize.

He did point out something that I'd kind of noticed but had never said anything about. The counselor seems to try to defend him a lot. DH says he knows he did something wrong and doesn't need or deserve someone on his side. An example from Wednesday is DH was talking about how now that he doesn't use his Blackberry hardly at all (I think he mostly uses it during the day to catch up on email while sitting in the many meetings he goes to) that he often feels behind at work. He doesn't like to go in on the weekends because he hates making the drive, so he hardly ever does that. I mentioned that he'd have more time at work if he didn't go to the gym in the mornings AND the evenings. She immediately said "oh, no....you don't want to take that away from him". I had suggested nothing remotely like that. I was stating a fact: he doesn't get to work early or stay late because he goes to the gym. Period. DH knew what I meant. I wasn't passing any kind of judgment on working out twice a day (though I do think it's ridiculous).

I told DH that we need to bring these things up with her. We are paying her. If she's doing things we don't find beneficial, then we need to tell her. So we'll have to think on that.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you have three readers at this point. I'm going through something similar and came across your blog today. It's kind of funny to hear that everything is the same everywhere.

My father once told me there is nothing new under the sun and after looking through tons of online postings about infidelity and seeing that it effects everyone the same way, I see that to be oh so true. So good luck to you. Everyone seems to be in the same boat when it comes to this.

My husband and I haven't started counseling yet because after I found out about the whole thing I was so devastated that I couldn't stand to even be in the country! So I moved to Central America and have been here since January! If it wasn't my life, it would make a wonderful sitcom!

Trying real hard to move on said...

Yay...I have 3 readers. :)

I'm sorry you are going through this....I'm sorry for ANYONE who goes through this.

I was devastated too. Horribly. I can still be devastated if I let myself. Right now I've kind of moved beyond that and things are going better. I hope things are going a little better for you too.

Are you going to try to stay married or have you not made a decision yet?

Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do at this point. I'm just sort of coming out of the fog now.

I dated my husband for over a decade before we got married. We had our fair share of ups and downs and had even gone to counseling for a few years before we decided to get married. I thought things were on the upswing and was hopeful about our future together, but six short weeks after we got married (yes, I said 6) I got a call from the "other woman's" friend telling me that he had been cheating on and off with this women over the course of a three year period.

I was in complete and total shock. I couldn't even function. The next day I woke up and I couldn't go to work. I just called my boss and quit. And I had a good job too. I made about $80,000 per year, which isn't fabulous where I live, but it was still a good salary for my profession. "The other woman" called me and told me her side of things. It was crazy because somehow I think she thought we were going to be girlfriends or something the way she was talking to me. She had the audacity to tell me, "I can only imagine how you are feeling. I was devastated when I found out." I was thinking in my head, "Lady, you have no idea how I am feeling...you didn't even know his real name for Pete's sake!"

Then the day after that, I got on a plane and flew to my sister's house. I went to see a psychologist and a massage therapist and that was very helpful because at that point, I really felt like I was going to die. I mean we hadn't even gotten the wedding pictures back, put away the gifts, or organized the house before all of this went down!

So after being at my sister's for a few days, I couldn't take it any more. She's married with two small children and seeing that happy crew made me all the more sick, so I flew back to my house, got my passport, and went to Mexico for a week. I spent most of the week walking on the beach, crying, writing (I wrote over 200 pages of my thoughts)and sleeping and I felt a little better when I got back.

So I talked to my husband and he was apologetic and everything, but I still felt like I had water in my ears or something like that. I was just in a big fog and I told him I had to get out of there. He asked me not to go and told me I didn't have to, but I did, I really felt like I was going to die if I stayed there. So I flew back to my sister's house and then started looking for work opportunities out of the country. I found a sixth month position in Central America and figured I could come here and get away from everything.

So then I flew back to my house, packed my stuff, and came down here in January. The first three months flew by. It's cold and snowy where I live, so coming off the plane to 80 degree weather was a true treat!

So I spoke with my husband during that time and he said many things and I've just been going back and forth about whether to stay or go. Like I said, we've had our fair share of downs, but I never ever expected that he would do anything like this. I told him I never thought he saw past me.

So he came down to visit me in March and we had a pretty good time, but I was just still numb. It was weird because I'd dated him for all that time and he always made my heart skip when he came into the room. Seeing him was the highlight of my day, but when he came down in March it was just kind of like "It is what it is." I had no expectations. I had no excitement. When he came I didn't get too excited and when he left, I didn't get too sad.

So then we just continued to talk over these last few months. He came again a couple weeks ago and things were a bit different. I actually found myself missing him and I was excited to see him. But it still doesn't take away all the pain I feel, so I don't know. We decided not to make any decisions about getting a divorce until we tried going to marriage counseling. The idea of sitting in counseling again isn't at all appealing, but I do love him and if I can stay married to him I'd like to.

So I'm scheduled to go home in a few weeks and it's just hard knowing I have a lot of decisions ahead of me. I feel okay some days and other days I feel like crap on a stick. The chance to be anonymous has also been very helpful too. Nobody down here knows my story, so I don't feel the need to do any explaining or justifying. I am just living, trying to make it day by day.

Then "the other woman" had the nerve to send me an email the other day asking how I am doing and saying she hopes I am doing well. She got dead air on that one because obviously this woman is not sane as there would only be two options with me at this point. Either a)I'm with my husband trying to work it out. In which case, I don't need to hear from her and b)I've left my husband and I'm trying to moving on. In which case I don't need to hear from her. Freakin nut! And what if I was crazy or something? Why wouldn't she just fade away? I mean does she not realize how many women are in jail because of matters of the heart? Luckily I take no issue with her because I realize that the only reason I even know about this woman is because my husband chose to bring her into our lives.

So this whole thing is really terrible and I never in 1 million years thought that my husband would turn our marriage into a statistic.

I'm glad things seem to be going well for you and I hope that you are able to work things out.

Trying real hard to move on said...

Wow...that is quite a story. I think that going off and trying to be on your own shows amazing courage and strength....and it's one of the benefits of having no children yet! I have myself and 3 other people to think about.

Is your husband still seeing the other woman?

It's so hard just not knowing where you're going to end up. Right now I am fairly certain that my husband and I are going to remain together, but things can change quickly and who knows what might happen in the future.

I hope things work out for you however you want them to. Keep commenting. I don't want anyone to suffer as I have but it is always nice to find someone who understands. My friends have been supportive but only one of them really gets it because she's been through it.

Anonymous said...

Here's my email address. I don't want to write a whole bunch of stuff on a public blog, so email me and we can keep in touch. It's oneworld75@hotmail.com.

Trying real hard to move on said...

I tried to email you and it came back undeliverable. ???

e.beck.artist said...

hey ... reader two here .....
just checking in .....

shrink on the couch said...

e, take a number. plodding's getting all popular and busy on us with her readership almost doubling overnight! haha.

Anonymous said...

LOL...What funny people you are! Don't get jealous because there is a new reader in town who has a little something in common with Mrs. Plodding! Trust me, you don't want to be in our "club." It aint no fun! You see from my comment that membership drove me out of the country! Anyway Mrs. Plodding, sorry I gave you the wrong address. It's
oneworld75@live.com. Sorry! But make sure you continue to update your blog for your other loyal readers. They have been here with you since the beginning.

Trying real hard to move on said...

I feel so popular now. Three readers. Woo-hoo. :)

I do have funny friends. I dig them. :)

Anonymous....I sent an email to the address you posted yesterday.

Kalynne Pudner said...

And even if you did have 3 readers then, the beauty of blogging is that there may be more later. I just found you today through phdinyogurtry, and I'm going back through them all. You're very brave, and my heart hurts over what happened to you.