Happy for me, sad for my kids.....getting out of my marriage, getting on with my life.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Do you think this is true? 75% of married men have cheated

I've read various statistics on infedility....and saw today that up to 75% of married men have cheated. That's 3 out of 4. So I look around at all the men I know, and even the ones I don't know, and just have a hard time imagining that 3 out of 4 of them have strayed. That is just mind-boggling.

I know a lot of decent guys. I have a couple male friends who I just think are the most stand-up guys around. I was recently talking to an old friend, a woman I've known for almost 20 years. We met at work when we were both in our early 20s. We have a mutual male friend who also worked with us, and I was telling her about how I think of him often now that I am dealing with infedelity in my own marriage because I just could never imagine him cheating on his wife. My friend said "I hate to burst your bubble....but he hit on ME once"....came to her and told her he had "feelings" for her. I have been sworn to secrecy and I won't tell a soul....but I was stunned, shocked, disappointed, angry.

So I wonder....could ANY man be tempted to cheat if the circumstances were right (or wrong I guess)?

2 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

There are a LOT of surveys out there, and depending on which one or how statistically sound the survey method, its hard to know what is an accurate percentage. But, I do recall reading that 50% of all males and 75% of all marriages have experienced infidelity -- so that means, 3/4 marriages, SOMEBODY has cheated, either the man or the woman. I think that sounds more likely (and more of a relief).

shrink on the couch said...

But even 1 out of 2 husbands having cheated? That's still a pretty hard number to swallow.

I think pretty much everyone COULD cheat in the right circumstances. There are a lot of angry, bitter, punishing, unrealistic spouses (hey, that sounds like ME sometimes!) and if that goes on for too long, I think its easy to be tempted by a sweet, smiling, caring temptress or seducer. Just one scenerio.