Happy for me, sad for my kids.....getting out of my marriage, getting on with my life.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Now I remember how much I used to like to write

I never remember really having goals for myself when I was a kid, or a teenager, or even an adult for that matter. My parents were not the encouraging types....they weren't DIScouraging but they were never very involved in my education, my grades didn't matter, they had no clue what was going on. Perhaps that's the way most parents were back then, as opposed to today's helicopter parents (which cause a whole other set of problems, if you ask me!). I was never guided in any direction, never encouraged to explore what I might love or might be good at. I got decent enough grades in high school. I had periods where I didn't do very well (never did well with transitions....so 7th grade and 9th grade were bad when I went to new schools), but mainly I was a decent student and usually made the honor roll without a whole lot of effort. In college I discovered alcohol and that derailed much of my college career. I finally quit, went to work full-time and eventually school part-time and then did fairly well (As and Bs and the occasional C in the more difficult classes).

The only subject I remember loving in high school was English. I loved words, loved reading, loved writing. That was the one subject that I really excelled in. So off I went to college, thinking perhaps I'd be a writer. I have no idea what happened to that idea. I guess it got lost in a sea of alcohol, parties, cigarettes, and skipped classes. By the time I decided to quit school and go to work full-time as a secretary for the government, I had long forgotten about it. Then I discovered that my employer would pay for job-related courses, so I went with Accountancy. I think it was a smart choice in some ways. At least I HAVE a degree....I doubt I would have ever finished if I'd had to pay for it all myself. I sometimes took three business classes per quarter and didn't pay for any of them. It was also a bad choice. I don't like Accountancy. Some parts of it I like, but some parts I find so stiflingly boring that I think I'd have to shoot myself if I sat at a desk and did it all day long. And now I've been out of it so long that I probably couldn't land a job as an accountant even if I wanted to.

I am seriously digressing here....but I have thoroughly enjoyed this blogging business. It reminds me of how much I used to like to write. So now I am a writer.....to an audience of maybe two. :)

4 comments:

e.beck.artist said...

two readers that i know of.....

it's never too late to figure out your dreams now .....

and blogging is addicting.....

Trying real hard to move on said...

You're right...it's never to late to figure out my dreams.

Right now my dream is to figure out where this ordeal is going to take me. :( Is it too much to ask for a crystal ball??

e.beck.artist said...

if i had a crystal ball, i'd lend it to you ....

shrink on the couch said...

I certainly like reading your blog. I like your straightforward style. Tell it, sister, tell it! Seriously, I'm enjoying your posts.

I also like reading that you considered writing as a potential career interest.

Maybe this ordeal will present another silver lining, getting back in touch with YOU.